Tuesday, July 27, 2010

StarCraft 2 makes me feel old

I remember... You young whipper-snappers, with your new-fangled iPhones and your TVs and your 2 by 4s... I remember when I used to get excited about midnight launches, too.

I can't help but think they certainly weren't more exciting. The clientele was definitely the same. In fact, I saw an acquaintance I hadn't seen since the last midnight launch we went to... 4 years ago. So I guess I'm the one who's changed, since the events haven't.

I used to talk about those midnight launches for moths, with my equally dedicated friends and coworkers. This time I wouldn't have left the house if I hadn't promised someone else a lift. So I guess my narrative is changing, as I grow older and add elements of time-consuming in the form of work and a home life. Back in the days when I would actually get home at 1am and load up Burning Crusade and finally get to bed a day and a half later, that was a story I wanted to tell, and clearly I still tell it now, but with a sense of wry confusion. Was it really that much fun? With friends, I suppose the answer is yes, but without, it becomes a much lonelier story. I can't help but feel I've been gifted with a set of new clothes, and everyone is laughing. Maybe that's why they hold these launches. At least we can all be naked together.

No comments:

Post a Comment