Friday, July 9, 2010

Kicking my own ass

You know what I like?  Ruining my own life.

In games, I mean.

My favourite example of this is in Space Quest 4.  You get teleported into the future, and then the past, and all over the place, and one of the places you wind up at is this bar in Space Quest 1, where you got beat up in the original for kicking over some bikes you never touched.  Well, in Space Quest 4, you're the jerk that kicks the bikes over and gets your ass handed to yourself.  Oh, the delicious irony!

I can't think of another game that's done this quite so well, but, then again, I can't exactly think right now, either.  GoG has SQ4-5-6 for sale, but be warned : they are the talkie, CD-rom versions, not the quaint floppy diskette versions.  Buy only if you can put up with obnoxious American voice acting that would probably bring back wonderful memories if I'd ever heard it before in my life.

And, while you're at it, I recommend King's Quest 6, where you can pick up a Dangling Participle and watch a Dogwood bark at some Cattails.  I tried to find a picture of the Dangling Participle for your gratification and enjoyment, but short of reinstalling DoSBox and taking a screenshot from my own emulated version of the game, which would mean playing for a good half-hour if I can ever remember how to speedrun, it seems the internet has failed me.  Suffice to say it's a darn cute critter, and worth playing the game for.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment