Thursday, July 15, 2010

Being old (on the outside)

I've been thinking about my life goals lately, and where I want to be in five years time (I know, I never imagined I'd be saying that either).  Something that's come to my attention, though, is one distinct benefit of ageing:

Being older, as a writer, lends you super-cred.

Well, that and actually being a good writer.  But think about it: there are only certain professions that work this way.  Doctors, lawyers, writers - anything based on non-technological experience.  So, yeah, I can see wanting to be a games writer coming back to punch me in my soft bits, but being a writer, in general?  No problem!  In fact, the older I get, the more writerly I will become!  Glasses?  Check!  Grey hair?  Check!  Credibility?  Absolutely check!

Now, if I were a programmer or an animator, I might have a problem.  Programs change so fast, and whatnot.  I was three years late in joining Facebook!  I'm not ready for a technology revolution!  But writing never changes, or rarely.  Oh, the format might change from printed books to e-readers, but the essence of writing, the sitting down and typing and imagining, that all lives on.  Until we create a procedural AI to implement plot lines, character elements and cliffhangers in a believable way, I think my profession is pretty safe.

This blog might not be, though.  Internet archives don't tend to age well, and they become less credible as time goes on.  Alas, poor blog.  I knew you adequately.  But, in the meantime, I suppose we can get better acquainted...  Another day, for it is late, and I am made weary by many TF2 victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment