Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Office is not a comedy a.k.a. Demon's Souls is awesome

Those of you familiar with my previous posts will know where this is going.

I just finished watching Season 1 of the UK version of The Office, for work.  You know what moral I came away with?

Don't try.

Seriously, that's the moral.  Dawn is all excited because Tim is going to leave and move on with his life, and then her world is utterly crushed when he stays just because he got promoted to 'senior' sales clerk and will get paid an extra 500 pounds a year.  That's less than 10 pounds extra a week.  Granted, I know nothing of the UK economical system, but if someone offered me an extra $60 a month to stay in a job that I hate, I'm afraid the answer would be no.

The show is full of people who decide they want something, and doggedly ignore it.  Tim wants to be a psychologist.  Well, I guess he doesn't, really.  Dawn wants to be with Tim, but stays with Lee.  David wants to maintain his self-image, yet can't control his tongue.  And Gareth...  Well, Gareth is the only sane one.  He wants exactly what he's got, and that's really sad.

The world in The Office is so dismal.  Lee's plan for Dawn is to get married at the register's office to save money, move in with his mum so she can have a couple of kids and his mum can help look after them, then Dawn can get a part-time cleaning job while she raises the kids.  This isn't even about romance - it's about ambition.  Do none of these characters want to do something with their lives?  And, if they do, do they ever do anything about it?

I know it's meant to be a mockumentary, and in that it sells itself well.  People believed it was real, believed David Brent was real, and that's the real problem.  These people hit too close to home.  From the perennial complainer, never-acter to the woman who's in a relationship because she doesn't want to leave, they all remind me too much of people I used to know.  Operative phrase: used to.  There's a reason I'm not friends with them, or dating them, anymore.  They irritated me.  I like acting on plans, and leaving relationships that aren't good for me.  The people in The Office are the people I'm glad not to know.

Update: Demon's Souls has the most intriguing and hilarious player interaction scheme.  When a player dies, they leave a bloodstain, and someone nearby in their own single-player experience can find the bloodstain and activate it to see how that person died.

So far we've watched about 8 people combat-roll off the same platform, all for apparently no reason.  Some of them even ran up several flights of stairs to do so.  This may be the most awesome game for sharing single-play experiences that I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment