Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Multiculturalism in Thedas

I've noticed something interesting, and not at all all that difficult to notice.  The accents, in Dragon Age.

People from Orlais sound French.  Except that one Scottish Chantry Sister in Denerim.

People from Antiva sound Spanish, or possibly Russian, depending on who you talk to.  Especially Zevran.

People from Ferelden sound English.  Yes!

People from Par Vollen sound like they've been gargling gravel.

And the dwarves?  Oh, the dwarves!  they sound... American.  Huh.  Well, it's a nice change from all of the voices being American, at least.  I quite enjoy the semi-multicultural soundscape, to be honest.  And at least they're not Australian, like Vanille.  Sometimes I want to put her back in the Crocodile Dundee movie she sounds like she crawled out of (Aussie cultural cringe in 3... 2... 1...).

Now, if only the political landscape were as tolerant.  Chantry or bust, it seems.  So your Old Gods come back as undead horrors, really?  Well, don't that make them a darn sight more real than the Maker?  Though he does have that Golden City, or should I say had?  Zing!

I wonder why I haven't met anyone from Tevinter?  Aren't they supposed to be around?  I also wonder why I haven't met any Asians.  Or black people.  This is suddenly wandering down paths best left untouched since The Phantom Menace.  Why do we have trouble with true multiculturalism, again?  I'd like to think it was just an oversight, that one simply cannot portray all of the races without forgetting some.  But when most of Asia and Africa are consistently missing, the excuse wears a bit thin.

Or perhaps those races, to us, have the most distinctive accents, and are most likely to be the basis for a lawsuit.

But really, David Gaider?  "Militant Islamic Borg"?  I know it was a comment on the political landscape, not the religious one, but really?  The people with hedge mages who eschew the one true religion?  Granted, I'm finding little-to-none on a google of this phrase, so I'm hoping it's a misquotation, albeit a popular-in-that-the-fans-seem-to-like-it-somehow way.  The Chantry already strikes a bit too close to home.  Let's not compound the issue.

Overall, I like the world.  It feels like it has potential for further adventures.  I applaud the use of different dialects of English, too.  I would just like a little more colour, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment