Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Alan Wake filler post

I must apologise for my post obscurity and tardiness of late. We've been trying to finish Alan Wake, you see, and while the horror has died down to a dull roar, the story continues to be compelling, so we continue to stay up late, not doing anything productive.

There are some breathtaking moments, I must admit. At one point, Alan falls off a cliff while holding a lit flare, and I think I'm pretty safe in saying it was one of the most cinematically stunning moments I've ever seen in a video game. There are times when I genuinely fear for characters I consider ridiculously annoying, and when a cold lump of dread settles in my stomach for a character we've yet to meet, but have already read about in the manuscript. At the moment, the part of the story we're up to somehow seems overwhelmingly sad, though I can't put my finger on why.

It's certainly disturbing, and a welcome and enjoyable twist on the whole what-the-writer-writes-comes-true cliche, but I do have one major criticism :

I can't see this story ending well, and for once I really want it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment